Rundetaarn, Rundetårn or Round Tower was built in 1642 as part of a 3-in-1 facility for Copenhagen University: Observatory (Round Tower), church for the students (Trinitatis Church) and university library on the upper level above the church.
The text on the front of Rundetaarn is a rebus by the king who built it, King Chriatian IV, and says: "Lead God, the right teaching and justice into the heart of the crowned King Christian IV, 1642"
The spiral walkway is 209 meters long and winds around inside Rundetaaarn seven and a half times from the front door past the different levels and up to the platform 34.8 meters up.
The cupola at the top of Rundetaarn contains what is Europe's oldest functioning observatory, available to students at Copenhagen University and others who may have an interest in using it, usually in the dark winter months.
The wrought-iron lattice around the top of Rundetaarn is a year younger than Rundetaarn itself, and is from 1643. This picture shows the view when holding a camera up high and photographing West.
It is Krystalgade to the right, the cooling units on the roof in the middle are on the Main Copenhagen Municipal Library and top left is a bit of the wall of Copenhagen Cathedral, Vor Frue Kirke.
The view from Rundetaarn is spectacular. This is the direction towards Nikolaj Church tower, All Saints Church and just to the left of the tower, The Öresundsbron Bridge between Copenhagen and Malmoe in Sweden.
Copyright © Hans-Henrik T. Ohlsen 2008